Independence

7.05.2011



Financial Independence and Independence Day...

Normally the two don't go hand in hand, but I have to say, I had the BEST five day weekend (and subsequently the first five days of my spending fast), and I didn't spend a penny!  Originally, I had a trip to San Diego planned for this weekend.  When I learned of the trip about three weeks ago, I knew I would be on the spending fast, I tried explaining that a road trip wasn't in my budget of $0.00. I actually even tried to justify spending the money because the trip wasn't a "fun trip."  Well, it would be fun, but it was a trip to see my dad who was deploying out of Oceanside, CA; the beach was just a nice bonus.  My dad begged me, "Just $100, if that... please, for my Father's Day present?" 

OK, it wasn't that pitiful, but you get the idea.  So I planned for it, saving as much as I could beforehand.  Anyway, as luck would have it, the deployment and subsequent trip were cancelled (Anna must be looking out for me).  Needless to say, I was a little bummed about not having any plans for the 4th of July Holiday; I really wanted to play in some water, and get a tan, *sigh.*  However, I ended up having one of the best weekends ever, and didn't spend any money!  Here's a quick breakdown:

Friday
BF was really wanting to have a date night.  I usually pay for our date nights, because about 1/3 of BF's take home pay goes to paying medical expenses (he has epilepsy, and because his employer's insurance denied him coverage, he is paying out the rear for independent coverage).  Since I'm now on the spending fast, I told him our usual $100 dinners, etc. were now a thing of the past.  It's going to be only free activities from here on out.  But, he still wanted a date night, so we plotted...  I had a frozen yogurt coupon from a church event, and he had free movie passes!  We went and saw the new Transformers movie , and ate frozen yogurt afterward it was a great date!

Saturday
I got invited to the lake with some friends from church.  To beat the holiday drunks crowds we arrived at the lake at 4:30 am!  My girlfriend drove ($0 gas money) and it was too early to really eat anything (no food = free food).   There was only one other boat on the entire lake and the water was like glass.  After a few hours of wake boarding, tubing, and knee boarding, we called it a day... Even though it was still only breakfast time!  I spent the rest of the day lounging by the pool, eating free groceries from my house.
Sunday
I went to church and then came home with every intent on visiting my grandparents.  However, my little brother sent me a text and asked if I was busy.  I assured him I wasn't, and he then told me that his friend had two tickets to the NKOTBSB concert and wondered if we would be his guests.  "Grif, I would love to go, really, I've been trying to get the sold-out-tickets for close to eight months, but I just can't spend the money."  He was disappointed, but called the friend and broke the news.  No less than 10 minutes later he called me again, "the tickets are free, so get ready!"  What? Free concert tickets?  This never happens to me!  Griff assured me that his friend would rather have people to go with than go alone, even if he didn't get his money back.  WOO HOO!  So, we went to the New Kids On The Block/ Backstreet Boys Concert!  We ate dinner beforehand, and snuck in bottled water in my purse.  Free concerts are so much better than regular concerts!
Monday
Since Monday was the 4th of July, I knew I wouldn't spend any money because everything was closed, but I still wanted a day of all the free fun I could get.  I started by going to a parade my community puts on every year.  It was really close to home, so my family and I just walked over.  After that, I headed to BF's parents house for a day of swimming and BBQ.  Later that night, we lit fireworks and sparklers, we then watched the "big fireworks" and listened to patriotic songs.  It was a typical Independence Day celebration, but I haven't had a traditional 4th of July celebration in a long time.  It was such a great day, and it was FREE!

PS.  BF's brother didn't bring enough diapers for his kids, if anyone is looking for a way to get free diapers, adult depends and saran wrap is not the way to go... Trust me!
Tuesday
Today, I didn't have to work, so I relaxed at home and nursed my wicked sunburn (which was also free).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...