I'm on a Bus

7.01.2011


{If only I could look so chic on the bus... Image Source}

Yep, I did it.  I went and bought myself a 30 day bus pass!  As previously mentioned, my familiarity with public transportation is limited to the 3rd grade school bus, and that experience was short lived...  So for this money saving tactic, I was a little excited about having a new experience, but at the same time I was really worried that I wouldn't make the bus!  After all, the website gave me a general arrival time, and there was still that 20 minute walk I had to get through... plus, I would have to wake up an hour earlier than usual.  The whole thing was a recipe for disaster.

Of course, I woke up late this morning.  I wake up late every morning...  I hurried to get ready and needed to be out the front door by 7:20 a.m.  I showered, got dressed, did my hair, threw on some make up, poured some orange juice in my travel cup, grabbed my bus bag, and left.  I didn't actually get out the door until 7:30, d'oh!  To make up for lost time, I decided to power walk... the whole way... in 90° heat.  It was a beautiful morning, and because the whole walk was in the shade, I didn't realize how overheated I was getting.

By the time I arrived at the bus stop, my whole body was wet!  Sweat was dripping down the back of my neck, and along my hairline! My t-shirt and jeans felt damp and my arms were glistening, I was so out of breath I thought I might need medical attention!  I thought, "I'm going to have to call my brother to come get me so that I can re-get ready!  I can't go to work like this!"  Luckily, the bench was in the shade, and after a little dabbing with a Kleenex, and a fan created with Suze Orman, I was able to cool down pretty quickly.

I am SO GLAD I rushed to the bus stop, because the bus arrived 15 minutes late!  However, the free time provided a nice opportunity for me to read my book.  When I stepped on the bus, my first thought was "Ahh air conditioning," and after about 5 minutes I was freezing!  In Las Vegas, there is no happy temperature-medium.  It's too hot outside, and everywhere else tries to overcompensate by blasting the AC.  I was grateful for it though.

After the driver helped me figure out how to scan my pass, I sat down and enjoyed the ride.  I was the only person on the bus, it was quiet, and relaxing to have a few minutes to myself to do absolutely nothing.  The only noise was a computerized voice that came on the loud speaker to let me know what streets we were approaching.  We would stop and pick up a few passengers, and continue on our way.  Then she mentioned my street's name, but the driver kept going!  Pretty soon she mentioned the next street over, and the driver kept going!

I rushed to google the transit route to make sure I was in fact on the right bus, but my stupid-piece-of-crap-iPhone's Internet app kept crashing.  I hurried and screamed, "I need to get off!"  So the driver pulled over at the next bus stop and let me off, never saying a word.  I exited and began a 15 minute walk back to my office.  Apparently, when the computerized voice mentioned my exit, I was supposed to push the big, red "STOP" button next to my seat.  Well, at least now I know.

Overall, it was a good experience.  It was quick (only a 15 minute ride not the 35 the Internet said it would be), quiet, and cool.  I'm so glad this first experience was a good one because taking the bus, is going to help me so much on this Spending Fast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...