Filling a Void

7.28.2011



During the six months to a year before I started the Spending Fast, I was buying a lot of stuff.  Way more than normal.  I was spending money on clothes, makeup and gifts for others that were doing nothing but creating clutter and chaos in my life.  None of it had any value to me, and it wasn't even stuff I really wanted.  Just stuff. 

Then one day, a thought came into my head.  It was something I had heard years ago, "When things make us happy, there is something bigger missing our lives."  This struck me, and hard.  What was missing in my life?  What void was I trying to fill with stuff?  I was in a great relationship, I have a wonderful family, and good friends.  I have tons of hobbies, I've even learned and nurtured new ones.  So what was the problem?

I was raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints {more commonly known as Mormon}.  However when my parent's got divorced a few years ago, I stopped going to church.  I was angry at the world and took it out on God.  Whenever I would think about that void in my life, thoughts of church would immediately follow, so one day, I went back.  For the first time in a long time I felt peace.  I felt happy. 

I continued going, not only to Church, but to all of the activities my church offers.  Social activities every Monday night, mid-week religion classes, and various other activities and service opportunities.  In no time, my desire to spend money on stuff had quickly diminished.  I feel that because my life is more in balance, my finances are greatly benefiting!

Is there a void in your life that is impacting you spending?  What is it and what are you doing about it?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...